A number of stock markets around the world have delivered solid performances this year, but if you look at the standouts, there's a common thread: they're all small emerging markets.
"The best performing markets been those that are least affected by outside events," said Bill Rocco, senior fund analyst at Morningstar. "And they've enjoyed good local economic and political news."
For example, Turkey has been the bright spot in Europe, which continues to suffer from its almost three-year-old debt crisis, while Egypt is still recovering from the Arab Spring.
While most of the top-performing markets are still small when it comes to liquidity and volume, they're starting to gain positive attention from investors, fund managers and rating agencies.
Click through to see which five stock markets have returned the best gains so far this year and why.
- 3U.S Dollar Rises to 6-Week High Versus Yen as Jobs Gain Backs Taper | Top Forex Brokers
- 3U.S. Stock-Index Futures Rise After Payrolls Report
- 3U.S. economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- 3U.S. job growth accelerates, weather cuts into hours worked
- 3Payrolls in U.S. Rise More Than Forecast; Jobless Rate Climbs | Top Forex Brokers
- 1Dollar turns broadly higher after jobs report
- 3U.S. jobless claims tumble to three-month low
- 3Jobless Claims in U.S. Fall to Lowest Level in Three Months
- 3EU Leaders Seek Coordinated Response to Russia: Video
- 3Crimea votes to join Russia, accelerating Ukraine crisis
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy economy news eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold greece imf japan nfp obama oil pound spain stock stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen