Forexsq - Hurricane Sandy, on track to disrupt the lives of as many as 60 million people, shut schools and governments from Virginia to Massachusetts today, halted travel, prevented U.S. stock markets from opening and upended the presidential campaign.
â€śThe time for preparing and talking is about over,â€ť said Craig Fugate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Sandy â€śis going to produce very high, potentially life- threatening, storm surge.â€ť
The hurricane is predicted to make landfall late today in southern New Jersey, then turn inland, according to an advisory from the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Sandy is expected to converge with two other systems, creating a phenomenon the National Weather Service has dubbed Frankenstorm.
Sandy packed maximum sustained winds of 85 miles (140 kilometers) per hour, up from 75 mph earlier, the center said at 5 a.m. New York time. The stormâ€™s eye was about 285 miles east of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and about 385 miles south- southeast of New York, moving north at 15 mph. It is not expected to weaken before landfall, the center said.
- 2U.S. stocks open lower; Dow falls below 17,000
- 2S&P 500 Earnings Top Estimates at 77% Pace Led by Ford
- 2U.S. Stocks Decline as Amazon, Visa Results Miss Forecast
- 2Gold Gains From 5-Week Low as Prices Near Technical Level
- 2Dollar Rises to Highest in Month as U.S. Outperforms
- 2U.S. durable goods orders rebound, core capital goods rise
- 2Focus on sterling Currency | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Pound falls as U.K. retail-sales data disappoint
- 2Donâ€™t Tell Anybody About This Story on HFT Power Jump Trading
- 2S&P 500 Extends Record on Facebook Rally Amid Earnings
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf japan obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen