Forexsq - Hurricane Sandy, on track to disrupt the lives of as many as 60 million people, shut schools and governments from Virginia to Massachusetts today, halted travel, prevented U.S. stock markets from opening and upended the presidential campaign.
‚ÄúThe time for preparing and talking is about over,‚ÄĚ said Craig Fugate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Sandy ‚Äúis going to produce very high, potentially life- threatening, storm surge.‚ÄĚ
The hurricane is predicted to make landfall late today in southern New Jersey, then turn inland, according to an advisory from the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Sandy is expected to converge with two other systems, creating a phenomenon the National Weather Service has dubbed Frankenstorm.
Sandy packed maximum sustained winds of 85 miles (140 kilometers) per hour, up from 75 mph earlier, the center said at 5 a.m. New York time. The storm‚Äôs eye was about 285 miles east of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and about 385 miles south- southeast of New York, moving north at 15 mph. It is not expected to weaken before landfall, the center said.
- 1Dollar Heads for Longest Rally Since 1967 on Divergence
- 1'Hundreds of thousands' of orders placed for Alibaba in debut: NYSE
- 1Stocks Rise as Investors Await Alibaba to Begin Trading
- 1Alibaba Indicated to Open Higher After Record U.S. IPO
- 1Cantor: ‚ÄėBuy‚Äô Alibaba shares after IPO
- 1Markets rally as Scotland votes to stay | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Yellen says poor Americans live in ‚Äėsobering‚Äô conditions
- 2Pound rises to two-year high against euro
- 2Pound 2-Year High Shows Bets Scotland Votes ‚ÄėNo‚Äô
- 2U.S. Stocks Climb on Fed Optimism, Lower Jobless Claims
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen