Though shoppers have been grousing for the past couple of years about how Black Friday keeps creeping into Thanksgiving Day, itâs shareholders who are giving Target grief over the decision to kick off its sales at 9 p.m on the holiday.
On Wednesday, in a coordinated effort to rally support for waiting until Black Friday to open their doors, a group of Target customers, employees and shareholders signed a petition with nearly 212,000 signatures on the site Change.org. The for-profit social change advocate, which earns money from providing services to nonprofits, says âdozens of shareholdersâ have left comments, arguing that the storeâs decision encourages people to work and/or shop on Thanksgiving when they could be at home with their families. A Target spokeswoman says less than one-third of employees will work on Thanksgiving and will receive time-and-a-half their hourly rate, plus additional compensation for the hours worked between Thursday and Friday morning.
But several small shareholders contend thatâs not good enough, according to Change.org. âI bought stock in Target because I was so impressed by the respect and concern they showed their employees and the communities where their stores are located, wrote shareholder Jill Larson, of Minnesota. âI am disappointed to hear about this decision.â
- 2Chicago PMI drops sharply in July
- 2U.S. Could Move to Sanction Russia Derivatives, Short-Term Funds
- 2U.S. Stocks Slide as Exxon, Whole Foods Fall on Results
- 2U.S. jobless claims up, wage growth starting to push higher | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Jobless Claims in U.S. in Past Month Drop to Eight-Year Low
- 3Stock market live blog: Dow erases gain, but S&P still up; Fed statement fears get the blame
- 2Economy in U.S. Grows More Than Forecast
- 2Treasuries Drop, Metals Rise After GDP; Stocks Pare Gains
- 2Dollar Rises to 4-Month High as U.S. GDP Tops Forecasts
- 2ADP Says Companies in U.S. Boosted Payrolls by 218,000
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf japan obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen