Greek lawmakersâ€™ midnight approval of a 2013 austerity budget put the onus on European finance ministers meeting later today to keep their three-year crisis fight on track.
The finance chiefs gathering at 5 p.m. in Brussels intend to prevent a 5 billion-euro ($6.4 billion) Greek bill redemption on Nov. 16 from triggering an accidental default, while theyâ€™re unlikely to ratify a 31.5 billion-euro payment to Greece that has been frozen since June, a European official said Nov. 9.
We remain confident that European support will be agreed on by the end of November, or early in December,â€ť Erik Nielsen, London-based chief global economist at UniCredit SpA, wrote in a note to clients yesterday.
With the euro-area economic slowdown reaching Germany and stoking mounting public protests in France and Spain, German Chancellor Angela Merkel will travel to Lisbon today, following her trip last month to Athens. European Central Bank President Mario Draghi said last week the outlook for the euro area is worsening. The euro has fallen 0.8 percent against the U.S. dollar since Nov. 7.
- 2U.S Dollar Rises to 6-Week High Versus Yen as Jobs Gain Backs Taper | Top Forex Brokers
- 2U.S. Stock-Index Futures Rise After Payrolls Report
- 2U.S. economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- 2U.S. job growth accelerates, weather cuts into hours worked
- 2Payrolls in U.S. Rise More Than Forecast; Jobless Rate Climbs | Top Forex Brokers
- 1Dollar turns broadly higher after jobs report
- 2Stocks Extend Six-Year High as Yen Weakens; Bunds Decline
- 2ECB holds rates, looks at back door measure to loosen policy | Top Forex Brokers
- 2U.S. jobless claims tumble to three-month low
- 2Jobless Claims in U.S. Fall to Lowest Level in Three Months
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy economy news eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold greece imf japan nfp obama oil pound spain stock stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen