forexsq - The euro held steady against the dollar on Tuesday as cautious optimism that euro zone ministers would release funds to debt-ridden Greece offset a cut in France's credit rating.
Finance ministers meet later in the day to discuss unlocking delayed aid payments to Greece, a day after Athens passed laws to enforce budget targets and appease foreign lenders.
Signs that Greece seemed to be on track to receive the funding supported demand for the euro, which pared earlier losses after ratings firm Moody's stripped France of its triple-A status late on Monday.
Analysts said the cut did not come as a surprise after Standard & Poor's downgraded France in January, and the finance ministers meeting could have a bigger impact on the euro if policymakers fail to meet market expectations.
"Although we know Greece's problems will not be resolved today many people would like to put this particular part of the issue to bed, and there's no guarantee of that," said Jane Foley, senior currency strategist at Rabobank. forex
- 1Dollar turns broadly higher after jobs report
- 1U.S Dollar Rises to 6-Week High Versus Yen as Jobs Gain Backs Taper | Top Forex Brokers
- 1U.S. Stock-Index Futures Rise After Payrolls Report
- 1U.S. economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- 1U.S. job growth accelerates, weather cuts into hours worked
- 1Payrolls in U.S. Rise More Than Forecast; Jobless Rate Climbs | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Stocks Extend Six-Year High as Yen Weakens; Bunds Decline
- 2ECB holds rates, looks at back door measure to loosen policy | Top Forex Brokers
- 2U.S. jobless claims tumble to three-month low
- 2Jobless Claims in U.S. Fall to Lowest Level in Three Months
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy economy news eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold greece imf japan nfp obama oil pound spain stock stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen